Saturday, February 23, 2013

Novel Fantasy Brought to Life

  Frequently, I get wrapped up in book or movie series that mainly focus on fantasy. There are reasons I enjoy stories with vampires, wizards and time lords, because they simply are not real.
  I could watch/read a story focusing on a real life drama about working individuals struggling to survive day to day routines, romances or sicknesses. But why? Life is already stressful, why dwell on that in my free time.
  So I opt to watch/read a fantasy about a sparkling vampire, a witty doctor who time travels and school of extraordinary wizards. I love the idea that there "could be" something so out of this world for these characters to join forces to fight off the evil Lord Voldermort or the Volturi. In Dr. Who's case fighting off everything that could ever be thought possible (really, people with pig heads? Concrete angels coming to life and who really is Boa and why is his enormous face in a tank?).

               .                      Harry Potter

  I began reading Harry Potter when I was in 7th grade. The series grew with my generation a franchise of 7 amazing novels by JK Rowling followed by 8 outstanding films. As I got older I followed the series reading the books as they were released and visiting theatres as the books came to life. The best thing was the series came out with releases being apart by a year and the stories each covered a year of Harry's life. Making my generation literally growing up and reading his first adventures at young ages such as 10 or 11 then finishing the series at ages of 17 or 18 with the main character.
  There was something exciting about knowing one of the new books was going to be on the shelves at midnight and begging my parents to take me to the releases of the new book and of course needing them to buy the novels as well. Waiting in long lines late at night with other crazed fans. Then spending the entire day reading the story because it is so good you can't put the book down. Then the movies began to release about 1 every year and the adventures heightend again seeing commercial previews weeks before. Going with friends and parents to midnight showings in theaters then afterward waiting a few monthes for the DVD release at midnight to get the chance to watch the movie yet again. The series took so long that the first 3 movies I own on VHS then rebought on DVDs and the last movie I own is on bluray.

            .                                Twilight

  The love story of an ordinary human falling in love with the most handsome vampire and his family of animal diet blood drinkers. Is another that created a whirlwind of excitement in the last few years.
  For Twilight I did not know about the books or story until after watching the first movie in theaters and falling in love with the storyline. When I first found out the movie was based on a novel I had to get the book and read. That same weekend I bought, read and finished the first book to the Twilight Saga. I was captivated to read the rest and also go back to the theater and rewatch the movie in a new view of how these characters were portrayed from book to film.
  The series captivated my interest from buying the entire series, movie posters and once again going to midnight movie premieres as the series progressed.
  Maybe it isn't just the thought of a fantasy movie or book that excites me but the thought of a series that can and will possibly hold my interest for 9 years or even just 3 years, rather than a 2 hour movie when after it is finished, that's it and if they do create a sequel we all know they are usually terrible.
  Several other shows such as Vampire Diaries hold the same appreciation due to the series being drawn out week after week waiting for the new episode.
  Simply, I love the anticipation of knowing more is to come and wondering throughout the week, month or year what's coming next.
  If you can find a 2 hour movie that can hold that long term dedication I will definitely be willing to watch the movie or read the book.

1 comment:

  1. I could watch/read a story focusing on a real life drama about working individuals struggling to survive day to day routines, romances or sicknesses. But why? Life is already stressful, why dwell on that in my free time.

    Agreed! I feel exactly the same way. :)

    ReplyDelete